My client has been ranked on Forbes Magazine’s “200 Best Small Companies.” They design, develop, manufacture, and market medical instruments used in dermatology for advanced energy-based medical aesthetic solutions. Founded in 1998, the corporate headquarters for the company is located in Brisbane, CA (just outside of San Francisco) and they are proud to manufacture all of their systems and accessories at their headquarters.
My client is seeking an exceptional hands-on director to lead their electrical engineering group in developing novel medical devices and applications. This position provides leadership within the company for electronics innovation, development, regulatory compliance, manufacturability, and product reliability. Programs involve a broad range of technologies including complex laser and optical delivery systems, ultrasound, and radio-frequency devices. This diversity and culture of vertical integration and organic innovation provides a unique opportunity for an individual with broad interests and skills. The ideal candidate would enjoy working as a high-level individual contributor while managing the electrical engineering team and contributing at a strategic level to the company’s product development roadmap. Extensive experience in both analog and digital electronics is required.
- Serve as the company’s key technologist for electronics by staying current with new developments in the field of electronics, developing an intimate knowledge of product designs, and initiating opportunities for innovation that increase value and differentiation for products.
- Lead the definition of electrical architectures and systems for new product platforms and line extensions ensuring they meet requirements for performance, regulatory compliance, cost, manufacturability, and reliability. Work closely with the embedded software engineering team to ensure seamless integration of hardware with software.
- Effectively support the manufacturing engineering team by helping identify and maintain relationships with top-tier PCBA suppliers, develop PCBA test fixtures and procedures, and proactively manage obsolescence of electrical components.
- Build, inspire, and mentor a team of electrical engineers to develop innovative and cost-effective electrical designs that enable best-in-class products.
- Efficiently manage workflow to the team to support a wide range of projects in development phases ranging from proof-of-concept to sustaining engineering.
- Serve as a high-level individual contributor by designing, building, and testing digital and analog circuits, PCBA’s, power supplies, and electrical systems for lasers and RF devices. Support sustaining engineering activities as needed.
- Ensure the electrical engineering team provides strong support for all phases of product development including integration of prototypes, EMI and EMC compliance, and transition to production.
Position requirements: ?
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred, in Electrical Engineering or equivalent. Minimum of 10 years of experience developing products and managing a team of engineers.
- A strong record of developing multiple products through production release including high-power power supplies, preferably for the medical capital equipment space.
- Expert in design of analog and digital circuits and SMPS’s and the use of simulation and automation tools (e.g. Spice, Matlab, Labview).
- Expert in schematic capture and PCB layout tools (Altium strongly preferred).
- Extensive experience in EMI, EMC, and electrical safety testing and associated regulatory standards.
- Familiar with medical device regulatory standards preferred (IEC 60601 and relevant daughter standards).
- Familiar with product development best practices and skilled at defining schedules, resource requirements, and spending forecasts for projects.
- Ability to work with electrical, mechanical, optical, and software engineers and scientists to develop new products. Familiarity with high voltage electronics, control circuits, electro-mechanical devices, electro-optics and instrumentation is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.